historic Howell House dates back to 1883 when it was built by George
Howell. Mr. Howell was a lumber baron who brought the first lumber
business to Downs in 1879. He built the Lipton Hotel, which is located
in downtown Downs. The hotel was originally named Howell House.
the Howells, the house was occupied by the Huff family. James Huff was a
Downs banker. Following the Huffs, Dr. Tasso Felix and his family lived
in the home.
house was converted into apartments thereafter and remained that way
until its recent restoration. Stephen and Joan Heide purchased the house in
1998 and began the complete renovation of the interior. The first guests
were welcomed to the Howell House in July of 2000.
drawing depicts the Howell House in 1884.
The following was taken
directly from the Hand Book of Osborne County, Kansas, which was
printed in 1884:
elegant residence of G.W. Howell in Downs cost, with its ample
surroundings, spacious and sightly carriage barn, etc., all of which are
portrayed in the pages of this work, about $10,000. Mr. Howell is a
native of Illinois and came to Downs from Maryville, Mo., where he was
also engaged in the lumber business under the same style, five years